Disability Information and Access Line (DIAL)
USAging’s Disability Information and Access Line (DIAL) funded by the U.S. Administration for Community Living and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, assists people with disabilities get vaccinated by providing assistance finding COVID-19 vaccination sites, determining whether in-home vaccination is available, educating callers about general COVID-19 vaccine information, and finding ways to help overcome both physical and systemic barriers to accessing the COVID-19 vaccine. DIAL also helps people with disabilities identify, locate, and access community services and supports.
A rapid (roughly 3-week) launch of the DIAL Call Center in May 2021 was made possible through leveraging the Eldercare Locator’s Call Center infrastructure and decades of expertise in Information and Referral services as well as a strong partnership with several national disability organizations.
Key DIAL partners:
- The Association of Programs for Rural Independent Living (APRIL)
- Association of University Centers on Disabilities (AUCD)
- Independent Living Research Utilization (ILRU)
- The National Association of Councils on Developmental Disabilities (NACDD)
- The National Council on Independent Living (NCIL)
- The National Disabilities Rights Network (NDRN)
- The Partnership for Inclusive Disaster Strategies
To access DIAL, users can call 888-677-1199 or email DIAL@usaginganddisability.org. Hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm ET. DIAL has several Spanish-speaking Call Center Specialists and uses a language interpretation service for all other callers speaking languages other than English. DIAL Specialists are trained to work with deaf callers using American Sign Language and video relay service (VRS).
- DIAL Webpage
- Centers for Independent Living (CIL) Online Directory
- Developmental Disabilities Council (DD Council) Online Directory
- State Protection and Advocacy Systems (P&As) Online Directory
- University Centers for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities (UCEDDs) Online Directory
- Aging and Disability Resource Centers Online Directory (Eldercare Locator)
- ACL’s Strategies for Helping Older Adults and People with Disabilities Access COVID-19 Vaccines
- U.S. Health and Human Service Department’s (US HHS) Office for Civil Rights guidance on Disability Access in Vaccine Distribution
- U.S. HHS and the Department of Justice (DOJ) guidance on Long COVID as a Disability Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- ACL’s guidance on How ACL’s Disability and Aging Networks Can Help People with Long COVID
Materials from Disability Information and Access Line (DIAL): Partners in COVID-19 Vaccine Access Webinar
, Director, Eldercare Locator and the Disability Information and Access Line (DIAL)