AAAs Share Insights on Employee Engagement and Retention in Rural Areasrecent report, USAging found that Area Agencies on Aging (AAAs) are facing significant workforce challenges that are impacting the older adults they serve. To highlight potential solutions, USAging held a webinar on November 17, Increasing Employee Engagement and Retention in Rural-Serving Agencies. Three AAA directors—Lynn Kimball, Executive Director, Aging & Long Term Care of Eastern Washington in WA, Lisa Sheppard, CEO of Missoula Aging Services in MT and Steve Williamson, President & CEO of Blair Senior Services in PA—shared their strategies for improving retention and engagement at their AAAs, as well challenges that they encountered and their outcomes.
- Surveying employees on engagement and satisfaction,
- Taking steps to strengthen workplace culture, and
- Adding flexible scheduling and shortened workweeks.
- Hiring from within,
- Encouraging staff to refer friends and acquaintances and
- Working with the state agency for flexibility on requirements for certain positions.